This week on Talk Beauty, our Master Esthetician extraordinaire Michelle Kobernik is here to dish out all the details on the best and boldest in brow technology - and yes, we’re talking about Microblading. If you’ve been entertaining the idea of trying out this service, we highly recommend taking a few minutes to read what this brow guru has to say - we have a feeling you’ll be seriously impressed.
I've been a Master Esthetician and permanent makeup artist since 2003. I ran my own business in northern Michigan for five summer seasons, where I gained most of my independent knowledge and skills. I worked at the Cliff Spa at Snowbird Ski Resort for four winters, pampering clients from all over the world while enjoying the nature of the Wasatch mountains. I've been working at Got Beauty for ten years this month, which has been the best job a girl could ask for.
Needless to say, I've been around the block a few times and have had my share of experience with different types of brow services. A little more recently I traveled to London, England to study with the PhiBrows academy to learn the new Microblading technique. Got Beauty and I chose this academy because we believe they do the best brows in the industry. Their training offers way more than a two-day course could, and all students have to pass eleven levels of progress to get their certificate to be an official artist. I'm confident we made the best choice and felt it was important and necessary to make sure everyone interested has all the necessary information prior to receiving the service.
What is Microblading
Phibrows Microblading is a manual "hand" method of permanent cosmetics for your eyebrows that creates extremely fine natural-looking hair strokes. The results? Perfectly natural-looking, thick, full brows.
How Long Does Microblading Last?
Depending on your skin type and care, the pigment will fade slowly over 18-24 months.
Is Microblading Painful?
The service can be a little uncomfortable for those who are more sensitive. However, there is an anesthetic applied to keep this to a minimum to where it is completely tolerable.
How Does it Work?
The pigment is applied with a specific Phibrows tool that has a row of several fine needles to create thin hair-like marks in the skin. Your artist will choose needles and the blade type according to the technique and the skin type. The pigment is bladed just below the epidermis and the most shallow part of the dermis, making extremely fine natural-looking hair strokes. A very natural result is achieved, as the hairs are bladed into the skin according to the natural hair growth direction. A touch-up is included 4-6 weeks after your initial treatment.
How Long Does the Service Last?
- The appointment should take about two hours.
- Are there any pre-existing conditions that interfere with consideration for a Microblading treatment?
- Breastfeeding (treatment is possible, though anesthetic will not be possible)
- On keloids or if you have a tendency to keloid, birthmarks, or moles.
- Serious diseases such as cancer, epilepsy, autoimmune disorders (doctor's note is required)
- Circulatory disorders (doctor's note is required)
- Any bleeding disorders (doctor's note is required)
- You're taking blood-thinning medication
- Currently on Accutane or other strong retinoids (must wait until 6 months after treatment ends)
- If any skin diseases symptoms or irritation appears on the area.
- You've recently had Botox or Disport treatment (must wait 2 months)
- Old PMU
- You have a broken capillary in the eyebrows area
- If you have a sunburn.
- After waxing (must wait 3 days)
- After chemical peels (must wait two weeks)
Is There Anything I Need to Do to Prepare?
- Do not drink coffee, alcohol, or energizing drinks on the day of treatment.
- Do not take Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E, or Ibuprofen 24 hours before treatment.
- Do not take omega3 (fish oil) 1 week before treatment.
- Do not tan or have intense sun exposure 3 days before treatment.
- No waxing 2-3 days before treatment.
- No chemical peels, dermabrasion, laser, or any other intense treatments 2 weeks before treatment.
- Shower and fix your hair as you need to take extra care not to get your brows wet for several days.
What Can I Expect During My Service?
Here's a quick rundown of a typical service provided by an official PhiBrows artist:
- First, the artist will need to do a patch test on the skin at least 24 hours before the procedure. Make sure to call and book a 15-minute consultation prior to!
- Before the appointment begins, the artist will provide a quick consultation to discuss expectations and results of the treatment.
- The artist then draws on the eyebrow shape according to the PhiBrows golden ratio measuring tool. Brows are measured perfectly to complement your unique face shape and size.
- Next, the artist chooses the perfect PhiBrows color.
- Initial strokes are placed, then an anesthetic is applied to reduce any discomfort.
- Pigment is worked into each stroke to define the brow.
- After, a pigment mask is left to absorb into the skin.
- Once that's finished, the artist cleans the area thoroughly.
- After the service, the artist will apply medical silicone that will remain on the skin for 12-24 hours.
Is There Any After-Care?
Yes! Make sure to avoid ALL of the following:
- Increased sweating, practicing sports, swimming, hot sauna, hot bath or jacuzzi, sun tanning or salon tanning.
- Any laser or chemical treatments or peelings, and/or any creams containing Retin-A or Glycol Acid on the face or neck.
- Picking, peeling or scratching of the micro pigmented area in order to avoid scarring of the area or removal of the pigment.
- Performing tasks related to heavy household cleaning such as garage or basement cleaning where there is a lot of airborne debris.
- Drinking alcohol in excess as it may lead to slow healing of wounds.
- Driving in open air vehicles such as convertibles, boats, bicycles or motorcycles.
- Touching of the eyebrow area except for when rinsing and applying the post-care cream with a cotton swab.
Before showering apply a layer of post-care cream to protect your eyebrows from moisture. During the shower keep your face away from the showerhead. Itching and flaking may appear during the first seven days post microblading procedure, However, experience has shown that by following these aftercare instructions these symptoms may quickly disappear.
Once completely healed, always apply a layer of sunscreen SPF 30 on your eyebrows when exposed to the sun. Sun exposure might cause the color pigment to fade away more quickly.
Eminence - Lilikoi Mineral Defense Sport Sunscreen SPF 30
**THIS ITEM IS AN IN-STORE EXCLUSIVE AND MUST BE PICKED UP AT OUR FLAGSHIP STORE LOCATED IN SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH. MORE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE AT CHECKOUT.** An easy-to-apply sport sunscreen formulation for face and body, Eminence Lilikoi Mineral Defense with SPF… read more
What Happens During Touch-Up?
The touch-up is recommended 4-6 weeks after initial treatment. During your touch up, the artist will fill in missing hairs, add or make hairs longer or just achieve a darker color.
What's the Microblading healing process like?
Your new eyebrows will go through several phases during the healing cycle. A true reflection of healed color can only be assessed 3-4 weeks after treatment. Touch-ups and/or correction of the shape/design are recommended at least 4 weeks after initial treatment. It will go from too dark, to too light, to just right!
Immediately after the procedure, the pigment will appear very sharp and dark. This is because the pigment is still seating on top of your skin and has not yet settled in completely. The color of the pigment will soften gradually (do not be alarmed if you see some pigment on the cotton swab as this is excess pigment and/or body fluid that is naturally exiting your skin).
Once the healing of the skin starts taking place it will look like dandruff flakes or dry skin. This might give you the impression that the color pigment is fading too quickly. However, this is just superficial color and dry skin being naturally removed from your eyebrows.
Your eyebrows will be the lightest tones during days 5-12 because the color is absorbed in the deeper layers of the skin. Later skin cells push it back to the upper layers. Once the healing is completed, you will enjoy a pair of beautiful, new, natural-looking eyebrows.
Here are a few Microblading before and after photos of past clients:
Didn't see your question? Feel free to call us at 801-474-2090 or email at email@example.com.