Each beautiful head of hair comes with its own unique brand of obstacles to overcome. For those with fine and oily hair, finding products that cater to two completely different needs on one head can be particularly irksome. The very first step in any style venture is to adequately prep your mane with the best shampoo and conditioner for oily hair that will build a foundation of the look you're going for. We decided to ask Got Beauty babe, Karina, who matched this hair description perfectly, to see which products gave her such envy-worthy hair.
"You're not going to believe me, but in all honesty, I use fairly moisturizing shampoos and conditioners." Say wha? Adding moisture to oily hair seems a little counterintuitive. "Not true," says Karina. "Oil accumulates on the scalp, which doesn't necessarily mean it makes it way down to your ends; they can still get dry."
Who would have known?
"As long as I'm not using anything too heavy, I find that the best shampoo for oily hair is a moisturizing one (same with conditioner). Another good choice for during the summer when it's less dry is the Bumble Seaweed Shampoo and Conditioner - just the right amount of lightweight!"
Styling Tips For Fine, Oily Hair
• Instead of volumizing shampoos and conditioners (which dry out your hair like crazy), stick to volumizing styling products instead.
• It's so tempting to wash your hair every day when it's oily - but you must resist! The more you wash, the more oil your scalp produces.
• On that note, try dry shampoo on day two. And three. And four...here is, in our opinion, the best dry shampoo for oily hair.
• Sometimes when hair is just TOO healthy, it's impossible to style. We're not suggesting everyone do this, but sometimes coloring your hair to dry it out a bit and give it more volume goes a long way.
• Never put conditioner on your scalp! Just apply about halfway down and towards the ends.
• Occasionally, I'll do a Malibu Scalp Therapy Treatment to balance my pH levels. This is great for either dry or oily scalps, recommended for anyone needing to get things back to normal!
So what IS the best shampoo and conditioner for oily hair?
"This family from Bumble addresses so many hair issues: frizz, dryness, damage, you name it. It's the perfect medium for a lightweight moisturizing routine that isn't going to weigh my hair down even more. I'm also pretty obsessed with the smell - so yummy!"
Bumble And Bumble - Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Shampoo
What It Is: This multitasking moisturizing shampoo instantly transforms dry, coarse, or brittle hair, leaving it soft, silky, and smooth without the weight. A luxurious blend of six featherlight oils helps soften, silken, tame, de-frizz, detangle, and protect against breakage—all… read more
Second Place: Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo and Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Conditioner
"Moroccanoil is probably my favorite as far as fragrances go, but it will also get the job done when adding moisture without being too heavy."
Moroccanoil - Moisture Repair Conditioner
Restore hair that’s been damaged by color, chemical processing, or heat styling. A highly concentrated, reparative formula including antioxidant-rich argan oil, keratin and fatty acids, Moroccanoil Moisture Repair is a gentle, effective conditioner that detangles and hydrates hair to a… read more
Third Place: Pureology Hydrate Shampoo and Pureology Hydrate Conditioner
"This is one shampoo and conditioner that I can definitely use with awesome results. My hair is instantly silky smooth and not too heavy."
Pureology - Hydrate Shampoo
For dry hair that feels like the Mojave Desert, soak your strands with Pureology’s best-selling creamy shampoo that not only replenishes and adds moisture, but also protects your color. A luxurious lather gives your scalp the extra care it needs.… read more